Goa Villa Logo
Group inquries:
sales@thegoavilla.com
Phone / WhatsApp:
+91 904 9424830
Property #
Top

Top 7 Goa Forts

Goa is most famous for its many beaches, happening nightlife scene, colorful festivals and seafood. The coastal state stands out also for its colonial architecture and heritage. There are many forts in Goa that has a rich history. They will tell you the story of the state’s past of various rulers – the Marathas, Dutch, British and the Portuguese. These forts are spread throughout the state. Some of them provide fantastic views of the Arabian Sea and the villages. Many of these forts in Goa are in reasonably good condition.

Fort Name Made By Location What To See

Aguada Fort

17th century Portuguese fort

North Goa

Lighthouse, moat, cannons, scenic views

Chapora Fort

Established by Hindu kings between 1627 and 1656

North Goa

Walls, gate, St. Anthony church, Dil Chahta Hai point, Chapora trail.

Tiracol Fort

17th century fort established by Hindu kings.

Extreme North Goa

Church of St. Anthony, ramp, platform, memorial to freedom fighters, Terekhol River

Cabo de Rama Fort

Local Soonda rulers.

South Goa

Bridge, bastions, cannons, St Antonio Church, statue of the Virgin Mary, watch tower, moat.

Reis Magos Fort

16th century Portuguese fort.

South Goa

Spring, church, scenic views of the Mandovi River.

Corjuem Fort

Built by Hindu rulers in 1705.

Inland fort on an island in North Goa

Ramparts, views of the Mapusa River.

Mormugao Fort

Built by the Portuguese in 1624.

South Goa, central location

Walls, church, guns, gate with inscriptions, scenic views.

Aguada Fort

Fort Aguada in North Goa

A 17th century Portuguese fort in north Goa. One of the largest forts in west India, it is on top of a small hill at the confluence of the Mandovi River and the Arabian Sea. Fort Aguada was constructed to control the movement of ships and prevent Dutch and Maratha attacks. It has seen many battles, first by the Dutch in 1604, and then the British. The fort had 79 cannons, ammunition rooms, a military barrack, deep moat, and the first lighthouse in Asia that was constructed in 1864. There was a jail later here.

  • Location – In north Goa, 16.9 kilometers from Panaji and 5.2 kilometers from the Candolim beach
  • What to See – The upper and lower fort, old and new lighthouse, deep moat, site of the old cannons, panoramic view of the sea and the Mandovi River.

Chapora Fort

Chapora Fort in North Goa on Chapora River

In north Goa, 21.7 kilometers from Panaji, above the Vagator beach. Chapora River meets the Arabian Sea on the other side of the fort. It was established by ruler of the Bijapur dynasty between 1627 and 1656 on the site of an ancient fort. It fell to the Portuguese, who converted it into a border outpost for preventing enemy attacks. Heavily fortified fort in its heydays. Presently the Chapora Fort is in ruins. It is popular with Indian tourists as the ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ movie was shot here.

  • Location – In north Goa, 21.7 kilometers from Panaji. Next to the Vagator beach.
  • What to See – Military barracks, which are vaguely visible, rampart, outer walls, church of St. Anthony, gate, the Chapora fort trail, views of the Arabian Sea.

Tiracol Fort

Terekhol Fort in North Goa on Terekhol River

Tiracol is in extreme north Goa, on the state’s border with Maharashtra. It is 48.7 kilometers from Panaji and 36.5 kilometers north from Baga beach. This 17th century fort was erected by the Raja of Sawantwadi, but it was later occupied by the Portuguese. Tiracol Fort is the smallest fort in Goa. It was later turned into a heritage hotel in 1976. It is associated with Goa’s freedom movement from Portuguese rule. The Indian flag was hoisted here in 1954, seven years before independence.

  • Location – In extreme north Goa, next to the state border with Maharashtra. 36.5 kilometers from Panaji.
  • What to See – Central courtyard with Church of St. Anthony, memorial of freedom fighters, ramp, platform, views of the sea and Terekhol River.

Cabo de Rama Fort

Fort Cabo De Rama in South Goa

This fort in south Goa was erected by the local Soonda rulers. Cabo de Rama Fort is 29.3 kilometers from Margao and close to Agonda and Cavelossim, two popular beaches in the south. The Portuguese renovated it because of its attractive location, but Cabo de Rama fell to the British soon after. The British however abandoned the fort after only a few years. It was later turned into a prison later. According to mythology, Lord Rama stayed here with his wife Sita while in exile.

  • Location – In south Goa, 29.3 kilometers from Margao, close to the Agonda and Cavelossim beaches.
  • What to See – Bridge close to the entrance, bastions, cannons, St Antonio Church, statue of the Virgin Mary, watch tower, moat.

Reis Magos Fort

Reis Magos Fort in North Goa on Mandovi River

It is located on the northern banks of the Mandovi River with Panaji on the other side. Built by the Portuguese in the 16th century, Reis Magos is one of the oldest forts in Goa. It was constructed to protect the narrowest point of the Mandovi estuary. It later became the residence of Goa’s viceroy because of its riverside beautiful location. Reis Magos is now a heritage and cultural center of Goa. It has been renovated.

  • Location – In south Goa on the banks of the Mandovi River, 9.3 kilometers from Panaji.
  • What to See – A spring and church at the base of the fort, scenic views of the Mandovi River and Panaji on the other side.

Corjuem Fort

Corjuem Fort in North Goa on Mapusa River

A fort built by Hindu rulers in 1705 in north Goa. But like the others, this too was occupied by the Portuguese later. Corjuem is 21.4 kilometers from Panaji on the island of Corjuem, which gives the fort its name. It is small in size, but is one of the two main inland forts in the state. The fort was later used as a military school.

  • Location – In north Goa on the island of Corjuem, 21.4 kilometers from Panaji.
  • What to See – Ancient ramparts, good views of Goan villages and the Mapusa River.

Mormugao Fort

Mormugao Fort in North Goa on Zuari River

In south Goa, close to the confluence of the Zuari River and the Arabian Sea. This is one of the best preserved forts in Goa. It overlooks the Mormugao port. The Portuguese constructed this fort to control the movement of ships at the harbor. There used to be 20 bulwarks, 3 magazines, 5 jails, and a residence for guards.

  • Location – In south Goa close to the tip of the Zuari River, 9.6 kilometers from Vasco da Gama.
  • What to See – Walls, church, guns, gate with inscriptions, scenic views.



Rate this article:
Very badPoorAverageGoodExcellent
Rated 4.5 / 5 based on 2 reviews.

Top 22 Tourist Places in Goa
There are many tourist places in Goa worth visiting. From the beaches in Goa, to the national parks a...
Best Things to Do in Goa
Goa is not just about the beaches or its famous nightlife. There are so many things to do here, limit...
Beaches in South Goa
South Goa is one of the most convenient places for amazing vocations in Goa with its spacious beaut...
Yachts in Goa
Yachting in Goa has become very popular in recent years. It is truly a wonderful way to enjoy the 101...
© 2009 — 2019 Goa Villa | All rights reserved